Friday, May 30, 2008

Recent Happenings

Well, it has been a few weeks so we better post something. 
A few things have happened since our last post. As you may have heard a lot of sad things have occurred in Grace over the last school year. It seems like there is a funeral every week. Just to mention a few, we lost two high school students, one in a car accident another to meningitis. We also lost a teacher to severe depression. A little closer to home, Aubri's sister's husband's dad passed away (Bryant & Jodi's). Then about a month later, on May 14th, their baby, Brinlee, died 10 days before she was due. That was a rough and sad time for our family, in particular. We are still recovering from it. 
Some good things did happen too. I finished my first year teaching in Grace, my fifth year overall. We got to take a quick trip to Seattle to see my family. It was two days of driving and two days there, but we got to see my parents, brother and sisters, and some of my cousins. Isaiah also got to play with his 13 cousins who live there. 
We did have to spend the first night at the children's hospital in Tacoma, because Isaiah's asthma was bothering him, but he's better now. We also went to the children's hospital in Seattle to see Usaia, and he seemed to be doing good, too. 
I also started a new job for the forest service, I am not sure whether this goes under the "good news" or "sad news" category yet, but I will let you know. I have worked 3 days so far (we are on a 4-10 hour work day schedule). So far I have just been clearing away branches and logs that other people are cutting. In the next couple of weeks, I will get trained on how to use a chain saw, fight forest fires, and other forestry things. It will be an interesting summer.  

(This is one of the only pictures I took while we were in Seattle. I forgot to get my camera out.) 
This is a slug that Aubri stepped on as we were loading the car to leave. Just one of the many wonders that I miss, living here in Southeast Idaho.  

4 comments:

Emily K. said...

Gosh, I had no idea about those things. I am so sorry. Especially for Jodi, her husband, and your family. How torn you guys must feel, having both sides of your family suffering in different ways. Good luck with the coming summer. By the way, this morning I found a squished slug on our kitchen floor, thanks to Rohne's shoes. YUCK!!

Jennifer said...

I HATE SLUGS! I can't wait to see how this job works out. You know how I feel about everything else. I love you guys.

Just a Sports Fan said...

This makes me a bit nervous, Dave Sotutu and a chainsaw. Hope the forest treats you well.

Jyl... said...

Your family has been in our thoughts and prayers recently. Hope you guys start having more "good" things happen. It seems like "when it rains, it pours"
We love you and give Jodi a big hug from me when you see her!
~JYL~